Hotel Promo

Friday, November 29, 2013

Review: Adapalene vs. Tretinoin Cream

Following my previous blog on how to have a pimple free skin, I mentioned that Tretinoin Cream helps in clearing your face from pimples.  But I also mentioned that too much application of it makes your skin dry.  This what happened to me.  When I return back to my derma (well I don't frequently visit my derma :)), I told her that I noticed that my skin seems to be drying from the regimen she prescribes: Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser, Acne Toner and Tretinoin Cream.  So she replaced the acne toner with clarifying lotion and tretinoin cream with Adapelene Cream.  (I soon changed the clarifying lotion to Human Heart Nature's Balancing Toner.  You may read about it here.)

Now here's my comparison on Adapalene vs. Tretinoin Cream

Tretinoin Cream

Advantages:
  • Dries up pimples fast (as early as the following day)
  • Pus can easily come out (can be the following day of after a few days) for those who are experiencing almost cystic pimples
  • Less appearance and occurrence of pimples
  • Can make your skin smooth when applied all over the face
  • Effective even on blackheads, whiteheads and "butlig-butligs"
  • A bit cheaper than Adapelene
  • 1 jar/container can last for months to a year, depending on your application
Disadvantages:
  • Nightly application all over face can make your skin dry the next day even after applying moisturizer
  • May not be suitable to sensitive skin for all over face application (but spot application on the pimple are may be ok)
  • Micro-peeling can be a bit visible especially when you apply face powder during the day
  • The peeling on the pimple can be an annoying sight
  • Sting sensation may be felt on those sensitive parts like near the eye area due to the peeling effect
  • May be a bit greasy on the face, depending on your application
  • For this type of tretinoin cream, I can only buy this from the derma
Adapelene Cream

Advantages:
  • More gentle and not drying when applied all over the face
  • The micro-peeling effect will make your skin smoother, less visible pores (better than the peeling in tretinoin cream) 
  • No visible peeling effect
  • Non-sting
  • Less appearance and occurrence of pimples
  • Non-greasy feel
  • Available in most drugstores
  • Somehow makes your skin fairer
Disadvantages:
  • I develop small whiteheads a few times on my first few days of application 
  • Drying effect on pimple is not as early as next day
  • Small tube can last for about 3 months depending on application
  • More expensive

Personally, I prefer Adapelene as it makes my skin looks fairer and smoother with less visible pores.  However, since I have an acne prone skin, I wanted something that can eliminate my pimples "fast" (with "" as there is no really a very fast treatment in combating pimples) which I find it in tretinoin cream.  This is just too drying that I'm afraid I'll develop wrinkles quickly.  Also, I don't look as "radiant" as with using Adapelene maybe due to tretinoin's drying effect on my skin.

Right now, I'm maintaining my tretinoin cream but I just use it in moderation as it is really drying.  I use it every other night all over my face or I just spot apply on those pimples.

I find these creams really helpful in combating pimples.  But of course, everyone has different skin conditions so what maybe effective on me may not be effective on you.  I also read in some forums that some experience purging effect on the first few days of using Adapelene.

I also use this cream in combination with my other beauty regimen such as using oil control facial wash/toner and tea tree oil application on pimples.

I hope this helps to those who are continuously searching for products that will help them eliminate pimples.

2 comments:

  1. Hi how much is adaplene? pls reply thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi. i can no longer recall how much adapelene cost but i think its more than a hundred pesos. right now, for my pimples, i use human nature's tea tree gel. its gentler yet very effective. i try to blog about it soon.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Feel free to give comments and feedbacks but no spamming/advertising please.